ipv6 ecmp ospf

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Apr 7 10:34:46 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 03:19:26PM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hi all. I'm try to get working ecmp with ipv6 and bird 1.4.
> Now i'm not understand why routes to test ip installed and removed
> after 3-5 seconds. Can somebody helps me?

Short answer: They are not supported.

Long answer: Well, BIRD generates IPv6 ECMP routes for internal tables
and tries to export them to kernel tables in the same way as IPv4 ECMP
routes, but Linux kernel did not support these for a long time. In some
recent kernel version. they were implemented, but with a different
API/conceptual model than IPv4 routes and with some lame compatibility
layer, which works for some operations (route insert) but not for others
(route scan), so it is broken.