erroneous "Netlink: File exists" ?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon May 27 10:11:09 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 01:07:53PM +0200, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
>> What is your output of 'show route' from birdc?
>
> Looks like only OSPF prefixes appear there, although my kernel protocol
> was configured with "import none":
>
> http://pastebin.com/adpp5aL2

That is OK, kernel protocol filters are pretty unrelated to this.

>> Could you replicate the same behavior with just the static routes?
>
> So with static routes defined in bird's config, I don't get the Netlink
> errors on them.  They appear in 'ip route list', and on other OSPF
> routers.
>
>> Could you try to import some route created by 'ip route add'?
>
> Mmm, yes, this is strange.  I'm not able to import static routes from
> the Linux kernel.  They don't show in birdc's "show route" output and
> don't get exported to OSPF.

It seems that OSPF routes are exported to the kernel (although it would
be a good idea to verify that by 'ip route list' from shell), but they
are not detected (for some reason) by BIRD during kernel route table
scan and therefore BIRD tries to reinstall them, which fails (because
they are already there). The same explanation is for failure to import
routes created by 'ip route add'.

It seems that some routes could be detected during scan (the ones that
was defined as static routes in BIRD). But you tried routes with 'drop'
target, perhaps you should try to define static routes with the same
'via' like ones from OSPF. Dees the problem manifest with them?

What is your kernel version?

What is your output of 'show interfaces' and 'ip addr list'?