OSPF: Socket error: Operation not permitted

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 20:22:13 CET 2013

On 08.02.2013 22:55, Przemyslaw Zoltowski wrote:
> hello,

Hello!

> i'm looking for help with ospf protocol on birdc. i'm using bird in
> production environment for more then 3 months.
>
> 0001 BIRD 1.3.4 ready on
>
> FreeBSD mp-r2 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Jun 12
> 02:52:29 UTC 2012 amd64
>
> i get following errors in bird.log:
> 08-02-2013 20:13:06 <ERR> OSPF: Socket error: Operation not permitted
>
> sessions with my neighbours are going down, and after aprox 10 minutes
> everything gets working without any reboot of router nor daemon.
Well, according to the code this can probably happen when current DR
goes down, so bird becomes new DR which involves joining AllDR multicast
group which fails for some reason.

You can take a look on DR-BDR-other state transitions (or show more
detailed log here) to see if they correlate with given error messages.

ifmcstat output can be also helpful.

Such messages (and probably some other ones) can also be blocked by
local firewall which can return EPERM (however I'm not sure if this is
true for non-TCP packets). Are you cure you're not blocking some
OSPF/igmp traffic?

Btw, does this OSPF-enabled interface change its operational state in
such sutuations?