Run BIRD without binding to a local TCP socket?

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 22:19:16 CEST 2013

Yes, this can work, and will achieve my stated goal. My stated goal,
however, does not tell the whole story...

I suppose my follow-up to this would be -- Can BIRD run in a
shadow/read-only mode, allowing a primary BIRD process to read/write data
into memory, but multiple BIRD processes to read the primary's memory
space, each with a unique control socket for direct queries?

The above is meant to serve as an extremely scalable system for querying
BIRD directly, while distributing queries across multiple read-only
workers; at the same time not duplicating the memory space of the parent
BIRD process for each worker. As it stands, the BIRD memory space I am
trying to query consumes about 1.1GB, and yields 5,000 queries per second
before a core reaches 99% CPU. I would like to scale this out, and achieve
(5,000 * n) QPS without also consuming (1.1GB * n) memory.

Thoughts?

-- Eric Cables