Run BIRD without binding to a local TCP socket?

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Fri Aug 23 13:22:25 CEST 2013

On 23 August 2013 12:00, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:

> Dear Eric,
>
> You could configure the BIRD instances as 'listen only' or 'passive', that
> way they will not attempt to make outbound TCP connections. The other peer
> must not be configured as passive, otherwise they will never establish a
> BGP session. If you do this you could use any TCP load balancing mechanism
> to distribute the connections amongst the BIRD processes (haproxy /
> iptables / etc).

I believe he's after the exact opposite scenario -- he wants to without a
listen socket. Therefore, he can run multiple instances of BIRD.
Personally, I'd just use different rules/tables within a single BIRD
process, but he brings up a good point: Is there a way to make it
"speak-only" similar to ExaBGP etc, rather than accept connections in and
use up a (potentially privileged, if not changed) free TCP port.

​​