OSPF virtual link segfault in 1.3.7 (wheezy)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Oct 15 14:28:16 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 03:09:36PM +0200, Kristian Lyngstol wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I just started playing with bird yesterday (my first endeavour into
> dynamic routing). I got OSPF set up nicely, but wanted to use multiple
> areas. I'm using OPSFv3(bird6/IPv6).
>
> There are essentially two issues I'm having:
>
> 1. "It doesn't work." This is probably just because I've not configured
>    it correctly yet and is somewhat secondary.

Hello

First some OSPF area hints:

1. rule of OSPF areas: Don't use it unless you know exactly what are you doing.

2. rule of OSPF areas: If you still want to use it, stick to stub and NSSA areas
   and avoid transit areas and especially vlinks. Just change transit areas
   to the backbone.

> 2. Whenever I throw 'virtual link' in an area, bird segfaults on
>    startup. I sort of assume my configuration has a logical flaw which
>    is triggering it, but I've yet to see what.

Thanks for the bugreport, i will fix it, it is pretty straightforward.
As you are probably the first who tried to use vlinks in OSPFv3, expect
some unexpected behavior ;-) .