OSPF: External routes (ABR vs ASBR)

Ruben Laban r.laban+lists at ism.nl
Tue Oct 9 15:51:46 CEST 2012

Hi Ondrej,

On 10/9/2012 3:04 PM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:16:24AM +0200, Ruben Laban wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how bird distinguishes between imported routes
>> that are shown as "external" route directly under the router's id (in
>> "show ospf state") and those listed under the "other ASBRs" header. I
>> have different boxes showing different behavior. I just can't seem to
>> pinpoint the reason for a route show up under the "other ASBRs" header.
>
> If current router does not have router LSA for that ASBR then its routes
> are listed under "other ASBRs" header. These are usually ASBRs from
> non-adjacent areas.

I'm afraid my lack of in-depth OSPF terminology is failing me here a
bit, as I can't make much from what you just said.

The routers listed as "other ASBRs" are listed under "area 0.0.0.0" as
well. With stubnets listed in area 0.0.0.0, and externals listed as
under other ASBRs. This happens for 2 (unrelated) routers in my
networks. I have several other routers in my network where the stubnets
and externals are listed just fine directly in the "area 0.0.0.0" block.

Some additional info: I have a single area (only 0.0.0.0) setup
consisting of about 16 routers and about 200 routes. The routes I'm
trying to get into OSPF "cleanly" are 'manually' configured static
routes (they are installed by heartbeat during a failover).
Playing with stuff like "proto kernel" and "proto static" in order to
get them picked up properly hasn't given me the desired results yet.

The annoying part here is that I appear to have different behavior on
various nodes, and I just can't spot the differences that cause that.

Regards,
Ruben Laban