Neighbor lost on interface flap

Simone Morandini simone.morandini at mix-it.net
Fri Nov 30 18:08:34 CET 2012

Hi guys,

we use two machines running BIRD v. 1.3.8 as a bgp route-server on our
IXP peering lan, and I noticed an apparently strange behavior: we had to
reload the switch module on which our route server is connected, but
after that, all v4 neighbors were showing "Error: neighbor lost", while
all the v6 neighbors were ok.
After quitting the daemon and re-starting it, all the v4 bgp peers were
up & running.
This happened all the times we had to reload the switch module, that is,
all the times we "disconnected" the network interface from the peering lan.

Any clue on what could be the cause of this?

Thanks,
Simone.

believed to be clean.