bird under heavy cpu load

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Tue Mar 13 15:39:15 CET 2012

Hello!

> This can help CLI interaction (and it is good as temporary solution),
> but does not decrease time needed for dispatching flapping sessions
> (particularly if there are many of them).

If you introduce priorities in the event loop, you can make sure that
flapping sessions cannot disrupt other sessions.

I already thought about event priorities when I wrote the event loop,
but I finally chose simplicity and decided that priorities can be added
later if it turns out that they are needed.

> Offloading some activity with low core interaction to another thread can
> be a good start for offloading another parts of code (protocol messages
> parsing, sending hello messages, etc..).

I think that once we decide that we need threading, it's better to
do it once and well. I thought about it some years ago and it seems
it won't be too complicated.

> Moreover, this approach can improve the situation with kernel scan

Wouldn't it be better to get rid of kernel scans completely? :-)

I think they should not be needed on current Linux systems, they are
there only to make sure that no Netlink packets with updates got dropped.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares                          <mj at ucw.cz>   http://mj.ucw.cz/
To avoid bugs in your room, just keep Windows closed.