BSD and carp take 2

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Jan 18 20:09:42 CET 2012

--On 18 January 2012 19:27:46 +0100 fredrik danerklint
<fredan-bird at fredan.se> wrote:

> What I want to achieve is to only announce a carp interface if it is in
> the master state. Otherwise ignore it. Hopefully someone else is in the
> master state and do the announcement in that case.

We do this by rewriting the bird configuration file from the
ucarp up/down scripts, and reloading, which is pretty efficient.
Often you want to announce the slave interface with a lower priority
(rather than not announce it at all), as if the master route disappears
you want traffic to immediately switch over, not wait for a slave
announcement.

--
Alex Bligh