IS-IS

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Dec 29 14:56:14 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 09:55:02PM +0100, kveri new wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to implement IS-IS as a part of my master thesis. Are
> there any apparent problems which would prevent successful
> implementation, political and/or technical?
>
> Also I would like to hear opinions of the authors.

As nobody bothered to answer - YES PLEASE ! A lot of Tier-X Carriers
today use IS-IS as the IGP as it has nice integration of v4 and v6.

Though it'll be interesting how you thought about solving the OSI
CLNS/CLNP thing. Bringing a minimal socket support into the kernel
or implementing it in userspace/bird?

Another thing is that bird currently either supports v4 or v6 depending
on compile options - which looses the ability of doing single topology
IS-IS with bird.

Flo