weird routes apparing in linux cache route table

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Sun Dec 16 21:33:57 CET 2012

Hi,

Linux 3.0.18 (using multiple routing tables with priorities set via ip rule
but that's not relevant here I guess), bird 1.3.8 and weird problem.

I have simple bird configuration, only one bgp peer. I'm NOT
exporting received routes to kernel:

protocol kernel {
        learn;
        export none;
        import all;
        scan time 15;
}

Now the problem is that there ARE weird routes (for IP X) are appearing in
kernel cache table (and not any other) for routes that are received by bird.

The weird routes are appearing when openvpn client connects to the same
machine from IP X address.

Cached routes are like this:
IP_X from My_IP dev eth0

If I disable protocol bgp {} section then the problem goes away. I enable it,
"configure" and problem reappears.

Why bird has influence on linux kernel cache routing table if export none? No
clue.

Any ideas?

config:

router id xxx...;