use case suggestion

Wendler, Daniel dwe at boreus.de
Sat Dec 1 20:28:34 CET 2012

Hello,

maybe someone has an good idea for the following use case:

In our setup we have different firewalls configured as an HA-Cluster with heartbeat.
On the active firewall we running bird and distribute all networks connected to the firewall
to our proxies and mailservers. We use this, so the proxies and mailservers knows about
new networks which were connected to the firewalls.
Wenn an failover happen, all ip-adresses are switched statefull to the other node with the heartbeat
mechanism, i have to note that none of the interfaces has self ips.
So when the failover happen, we start bird on the failover node with the same configuration and
router id.
The only problem/drawback with this setup is, when bird starts it removes all routes from the "client" instances
(mailserver an proxy) for about 8 to 10 seconds (i think its the time for DR election and routing updates.).

Anyone an suggestion how to prevent route deletion and only "update" routes (or only deletes one
when there is no interface or something). Maybe there is an similar option like in the kernel protocol
for don't remove routes on bird shutdown?
Its not such an great problem, but i try to minimize impact on failover.
Perhaps there is an other solution how to better setup such an environment?

Daniel