OSPFv3: link-local address required on loopback interface?

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Aug 29 08:00:34 CEST 2012

* Ondrej Zajicek

>> Also, why did the ?Primary? address change as a result of fe80:: being added?
>
> This is a bug in primary address selection.

[...]

> OSPFv3 requires link-local address on iface to work, so there is just
> a missing exception for stub ifaces.

Aha, that makes sense. I'll be happy to test any patches. ;-)

I was wondering, by the way, is there an issue tracker or something
similar for BIRD, where I can file bugs and/or feature enhancement
requests? Or is this mailing list basically it?

> Also note that some people suggest to use dummy iface instead of loopback
> iface for that purpose. But i don't know any valid reason why. Perhaps
> just to workaround similar issues in other software.

I suppose that too will work. For what it's worth, though, I've not had
any problems assigning the primary address of a router to the loopback
interface until now; as far as I know, it's actually the recommended
best practise for most router implementations, at least for Cisco IOS,
JUNOS, Quagga, Vyatta, and so on.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson