Several ptmp OSPF sessions over a single interface

Ruben Laban r.laban+lists at ism.nl
Tue Aug 28 12:09:32 CEST 2012

Hi Ondrej, list,

On 8/27/2012 4:38 PM, Ruben Laban wrote:
> On 8/27/2012 4:49 PM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 01:58:27PM +0200, Ruben Laban wrote:
>> (3) this should work OK, but you have to explicitly configure your
>> neighbors using 'neighbors' on each router, because PTMP is generally
>> assumed to be run on non-broadcast media, so there is no autodetection
>> of peers. Your IP is automatically propagated as /32.
>
> Thank you Ondrej, for these pointers. Without having done any additional
> testing (yet), (3) seems to be pretty close to what I'd want (having to
> specify all neighbors is both a pro and a con I guess). So I'll be sure
> to do some experimenting with that tomorrow.
>
> Some detailed documentation regarding the various modes would surely be
> appreciated indeed ;-)

So far the testing with (3) has shown it to be a rather nice solution
problem. It even seems to handle the additional use case where there's
floating (high-available) IP addresses involved (as aliases) properly.
Just one small question though: Is there some trick to "AdminDown" a
session between 2 given peers in a pmtp setup, other than invoking
packetfilters and have the sessions time out? Removing the "neighbor"
from either end and doing a "configure" keeps the session alive it seems.

Regards,
Ruben Laban