Unnumbered interface incorrectly marked DOWN

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Aug 22 15:48:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:32:39PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> $ birdc show static
> BIRD 1.3.8 ready.
> 172.40.33.3/32 dev nat64
> 172.40.60.0/26 dev nat64
> $ ip route show proto bird
> 172.40.33.3 dev nat64
> 172.40.60.0/26 dev nat64
>
> While this is an acceptable workaround for me, this behaviour must be a
> bug, right? For what it's worth, Quagga never complained about the
> unnumbered interface.

Hello

This is not exactly a bug, but it is strange behavior. For some
historical reasons, BIRD elects 'primary IP' for iface and requires at
least one IP to consider interface UP (so there is always 'primary IP'
if iface is UP). It is almost not necessary today and it has some
annoying consequences (like this or like if you add IP to iface and new
IP is elected 'primary' then your OSPF adjacencies on that ifaces are
restarted), so it will probably go away during some major interface
revision.