bird patches review

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Oct 6 12:43:33 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 10:03:30PM +0400, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:
>>> In most hardware routers (and even in Quagga) it is possibly to see if
>>> RIB entry is installed to FIB
>>> (e.g. * ). Maybe kernel can set some flag at least when it sees
>>> installed prefix gets removed from kernel table?
>>> (or adds some flags on route installation and remove it on route removal)
>>>
>> There is already such flag (because kernel sync is a bit tricky and abuses
>> routing table to rememer its state), perhaps we could show that flag in
>> some way.
>>

> Should I [as usual] submit patch for that? :)

I found that the flag signalizes whether route is expected to be
installed (but the installation might failed). I added the flag
signalizing that the last attempt to install the route to the kernel
table failed, and showed that flag in 'show route':

bird> show route
10.200.0.0/16      via xx.xx.xx.xx on eth0 [static1 16:13] ! (200)
192.168.0.0/16     via xx.xx.xx.xx on eth0 [static1 16:13] * (200)
10.220.0.0/16      via xx.xx.xx.xx on eth0 [static1 16:13] * (200)

Showing just whether the route is (supposed to be) installed seems
a bit pointless - it is usually 'export all' or 'export none' for
kernel protocol. If someone removes the route from FIB (kernel)
and BIRD notices that, it reinstalls the route, so unless there
is a problem in route installation, it remains synced.