Latency spikes on FreeBSD 8.2 with kernel scan function.

Pawel Tyll ptyll at nitronet.pl
Tue Nov 22 09:18:53 CET 2011

Hi,

> bird has nothing to do with kernel packet forwarding. It is control
> plane software.
> Do you have some kind of shaping (dummynet, altq) configured?
I do have dummynet configured, but like I said - every 20 seconds
network freezes for about 0.5s. Guess what happens every 20 seconds...
You got it! Protocol "kernel" scans the kernel routes. Also, after
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/bird stop, problem is gone. What could be causing
this? I can't believe scanning kernel routes is supposed to be this
resource intensive?

Thanks,

Pawel.