password encryption

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu May 12 17:19:38 CEST 2011

There are three solutions to that problem:

1) Change the file permissions to 600 or similar, and therefore
preventing the whole world from reading it.
2) Generate the password using a call within the script.
3) Encrypt the configuration file with "gpg" or similar, then alter
the init.d script to unencrypt it on launch, wait until it's fully
parsed then delete the temporary file.

If you're that worried about people knowing the OSPF password on that
machine, those people should not have access to that machine, IMO.