Feature requests

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Tue May 3 09:36:29 CEST 2011

* Ondrej Zajicek

> We (BIRD developers) would like to know which major features you miss in
> BIRD and would like to be implemented.

Hi,

I'm not currently using BIRD at all (due to the lack of OSPF NSSA
support), so this is free from memory from when I was evaluating it, so
apologies if any of these are already implemented. Anyway, here goes, in
no particular order:

* OSPFv2/v3 NSSA - I'm already using NSSA extensively so BIRD needs to
support it in order for me to plug it in to my network.

* BFD - very useful for fast failure detection when peering through non-
direct connection (e.g. like an internet exchange)

* Possibility to configure the local network directly from BIRD. One of
the most annoying thing when building software-based routers is that you
have to configure one thing here, another thing there, and so on. In
particular, configuring IP addresses would be a great (Quagga can
already do this). Also VLAN-tagged interfaces, 802.3ad trunks, and so on.

* VRRPv2/v3 - extensively used in my data centre environment at least.

* Link-state dependent routes - I remember this was discussed on the
list a while back. If a physical link goes down, all routes and
adjacencies dependent on that link should be instantly removed - we
don't want to wait for some timeout.

* Multi-AF OSPFv3 support (RFC 5838) - currently I need to maintain two
separate OSPF topologies in my network (OSPFv2 for IPv4 and OSPFv3 for
IPv6). That's a maintenance burden I'd rather not have, and multi-AF
OSPFv3 would allow me to throw out OSPFv2.

* MPLS/VRF support - i.e. RSVP-TE and LDP.

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com