Feature requests

Fedor Dikarev fe at rambler-co.ru
Tue May 3 09:33:28 CEST 2011

On 03.05.2011 01:48, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 11:56:20PM +0400, Fedor Dikarev wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm very interested in OSPF NSSA: we use it to allow our PC-routers to
>> inform CORE-routers about availability of services. We don't want our
>> PC-routers to calculate topology, so we have to put them in stub area.
>> But we need them to redistribute routes, so it must be NSSA area.
>
> BTW, you can do that by using separate OSPF instance instead of NSSA area.
> Just export most routes from 'stub' instance to 'main' instance, but export
> just static default route to 'stub' instance.
>
> But that suppose you have BIRD on the 'boundary' router.
>
> Just wondering, why you do not want to calculate topology on PC routers?

We are using OSPF on PC not for routing purposes: those servers are DNS,
web, mail and other clusters. So on each server if it's alive: server is
up, all backends are availiable and so, servers are anouncing "service
ip" to OSPF. If there are some problems with backends then PC in cluster
stop redistribute "service ip" or change metric for it.

So for that reason I think that NSSA is better than anything else.
I'm also thinking about using BGP for that purposes but we'he already
have working OSPF-scheme and it will be nice if we could continue using it.
--
Fedor Dikarev
Rambler Internet Holding