where is my network with multihop bgp

Arjan Filius iafilius at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 23 15:32:11 CET 2011

Hello Bird users,

I tried to configure the/my first multihop bgp configuration for
monitoring purposes, but i don't get the correct network exported.

Our setup:
2 Bird bgp routers, connected with iBGP, and bot have there own transit's.
the published /20 network work just fine for about one year now (no
multihop).

Now i'm setting up a multihop bgp with source an redundant internal VRRP
address which belongs to that  published /20 to another bird i've controll of,
on both bgp routers. (so actually only the one which has the vrrp address
is working/active)
I've applied one "trick" as i don't know which transit is wil take now or
in the feature, i set the next hop to it's source (the vrrp address)

Everything seems to be exported (and imported on other
side), except my /20 where it is all about.

when i type:
show route all export  <myprotocolname>
or
show route xx.x.x/20 export
it actually shows the /20 route but sniffing learnes the actually it is't
get published to the other side.

The /20 gets published just fine for the regular transits, and i've no
clue yet what is going on. Enabeling debug isn't for the protocol isn't
currently what i like to on this production system.

Has any an idea what might going on here?

running bird 1.2.4

Arjan Filius

Thanks in advance,

--