multipath static route issue or my mistake?

Ebed ebedsat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 03:48:51 CET 2011

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:38:37AM +0700, Ebed wrote:
>
>> List,
>>
>> I'm doing a lab using bird, i have 192.168.0.0/16, that it consists of
>> 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24 which will connect to the internet
>> with usb modem0 and usb modem1. I'm trying to add in the protocol static,
>>
>>     route 0.0.0.0/0 multipath via "modem0" via "modem1"
>>
>> it's failed. Finally i'm using these configs,
>>
>>     route 0.0.0.0/0 "modem0"
>>     route 0.0.0.0/0 "modem1"
>>
>> My isp which connected through "modem0" sometimes is suck, the signal
>> always goes up and down, when the signal is good, the modem0 will
>> connect with no problem but when it's bad, it will dissapear. So my
>> question is,
>>
>> 1. Can we route mutiple provider using just the device name not actual
>> ip as i get dynamic ip on modem0 and modem1?
>> 2. Can we set multipath using the first config above while the actual
>> device is missing (modem0)?
>>
> BIRD currently does not support multipath device routes, that is the
> reason why the first config abode does not work.
>
> I don't know about your network setting, whether the modem0/1
> are just some kind of ptp interfaces (it seems strange to me
> to use /24 for that) and whether default route in your case
> should be configured with or without next hop IP address.
> If you could specify next hop IP addresses, you could get
> working multipath route (in static proto) like:
>
>   route 0.0.0.0/0 multipath via 192.168.0.1 via 192.168.1.1;

We can't do that, my modem 0/1 is just a ptp to my isp and network
192.168.0.0/16 goes to my clients. In this lab i try to build
multipath/multihome coonection to the internet for all my client, which
is usefull for me as a backup system. I need multipath here as i just
want to use 3g/cdma evdo modem for this purpose, beside it's portable so
i can move this gateway without trouble, just plug and run.

> It is irrelevant whether interfaces sometimes disappear.
>
> The second config (two independent route lines) has a problem that
> static protocol currently assumes there is just one specified route for
> one network (so it would probably not work as expected). But you could
> use more static protocols:
>
> protocol static STATIC0 {
>    check link yes;
>    import all;
>
>    route 0.0.0.0/0 via "modem0";
> }
>
> protocol static STATIC1 {
>    check link yes;
>    import all;
>
>    route 0.0.0.0/0 via "modem1";
> }
>
> This will work (but not as multipath, it will just switch to the other
> route if one disappear).

Still we can't get the multiple device route, it's needed in this
situation. Anyway, thanks for the answer.