real broadcast mode

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Dec 7 11:52:43 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 01:41:38PM +0200, Tapio Haapala wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bird supports with ospf type broadcast. Looks that it actually means hat
> you execpt from "type mcast".

Name 'broadcast' for multicast-based interface is from OSPF RFC. So it
is probably expected by others.

> On several networks multicast is broken. Yes it is broken and we cannot
> do nothing for that because they are metro ethernet and odsl (operator
> dsl) networks and they are leased from local operators.
> One solution is make mtmp configuration but if you have 100 router it is
> nightmare.

In your case you probably could try NBMA, although needs more configuration
than broadcast, it is much simpler (and more similar to broadcast) than
PTMP. Advantage is that for a new router, you just have to configure
it to a few (2-3) 'designated' routers responsible for distributing
signalling information on that network.

PTMP is more for a networks where isn't full visibility (i.e. A can speak
with B, B with C, but A cannot directly speak with C). Not sure which
networks has this property (perhaps some old leased-circuit based networks
or ad-hoc wireless networks).

BTW, how IPv6 is supposed to work on that broken network? There are no
broadcasts in IPv6.

> So I humbly asking new feature. It is real broadcast type. Because of
> compatibility reasons it is unpossible use type bcast for that and
> rename multicast for type mcast I suggest that new type is rbcast. It is
> extension over rfc but it is really usefull one. On real broadcast
> packets send to 255.255.255.255 so they does not get meshed up with
> multicast specific rules.

Interesting idea, i will probably implement that.