Routing issues

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Sun Dec 4 22:36:44 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 07:38:30AM +1100, Martin Barry wrote:
> > The end result is to have a BGP router using two connections to announce
> > my /22 using my ASN, from the bird router I need to be able to send out
> > requests from my /22 over both interfaces (I have them weighted in the
> > bird config file so one gets more traffic).

which would balance the outgoing traffic. however the incoming comes over
based on bgp preferences(mainly as path) in the internet which results in a
lot of asymetric routing. this will result in weird latency and problems with
one line affecting all connections.

> My original answer relates only to traffic with a source address in your
> Cogent /29 as this might be filtered by HE. You might need to do something
> similar to traffic with a source address in your HE /29 as this might be
> filtered by Cogent. Traffic with a source address in your /22 shouldn't have
> that problem.

the policy routing should probably still be setup to allow testing of a
particular line because this way incoming and outgoing traffic do not have to
come over the same line.

mk