syncing device routes

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 18:44:01 CET 2011

--On 4 December 2011 18:39:14 +0100 Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org>
wrote:

>>> Note that BIRD does not really work on interfaces that do not have
>>> any configured IP addresses. (just adding that using 'route add -host'
>>> does not work).
>>
>> It does not propagate them, but learning them works just fine.
>
> I think there have to be at least one address on that iface
> (at least for OSPF and BGP, not sure for RIP) to even the
> protocol consider that iface to be reeady.

We use something like the following, which successfully picks up
routes to interfaces with no IP addresses on Linux.

# Import kernel routes. These come in with RTS_INHERIT
protocol kernel evrkernel {
        persist;                # Don't remove routes on bird shutdown
        scan time 10;           # Scan kernel routing table every 20 seconds
        import all;
        export all;
        learn;                  # Learn all alien routes from the kernel
}

# Import all directly connected routes. These come in with RTS_DEVICE
protocol direct evrdirect {
         interface "-evrr-000000", "evrr-*";
         export all;

Alex Bligh