multipath static route issue or my mistake?

Ebed ebedsat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:38:37 CET 2011

List,

I'm doing a lab using bird, i have 192.168.0.0/16, that it consists of
192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24 which will connect to the internet
with usb modem0 and usb modem1. I'm trying to add in the protocol static,

    route 0.0.0.0/0 multipath via "modem0" via "modem1"

it's failed. Finally i'm using these configs,

    route 0.0.0.0/0 "modem0"
    route 0.0.0.0/0 "modem1"

My isp which connected through "modem0" sometimes is suck, the signal
always goes up and down, when the signal is good, the modem0 will
connect with no problem but when it's bad, it will dissapear. So my
question is,

1. Can we route mutiple provider using just the device name not actual
ip as i get dynamic ip on modem0 and modem1?
2. Can we set multipath using the first config above while the actual
device is missing (modem0)?

Here's my bird.conf,

====================
router id 192.168.1.1;

log syslog all;
debug protocols all;

protocol device DEVICE {
  scan time 10;
}

protocol direct DIRECT {
  interface "lo", "eth0", "modem0", "modem1";
}

protocol static STATIC {
  check link yes;
  import all;