Reload fails - bird 1.3.2

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Aug 17 22:04:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 07:56:37PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> I think this is harmless, but
>  reload all
> does this:
>
> bird> reload all
> kernel1: reload failed
> device1: reload failed
> MyBGP: reloading
>
> If I understand rightly what reload is meant to do for kernel/device
> (nothing), shouldn't this either report 'reloading' or say 'skipped'
> or something?

You are right, this is just harmless. For device protocol it is really
nothing (as device protocol is pseudoprotocol which does not generate
any routes). For kernel protocol, reload might have a sense (you could
change import filter and then use 'configure soft'), but is not
implemented (and not really important, because there are periodic
scans that works in a similar manner).