iBGP migration to 1.3.0 [Was: Re: Patch to fix BGP ghost routes resulting from loops]

Nick nick at somerandomnick.ano.mailgate.vanet.org
Sun Apr 3 19:36:27 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 06:32:26PM +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:30:56PM +0000, Nick wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:16:38PM +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> > > So i understand that routes appear in the routing table but with
> > > unreachable destination? This is related not to mentioned patch, but to
> > > main changes in iBGP that triggered this major release, and it is
> > > probably unrelated to route reflector setting. Essentially, the next hop
> > > from NEXT_HOP attribute have to be resolvable through the routing table.
> > > See option 'gateway direct|recursive' in the documentation.
> >
> > I can't find that in the documentation, but it doesn't matter, because
> > my iBGP peerings fail when I upgrade a node to 1.3.0 (from 1.2.1).
> > It sends a 0 router ID, even when the first line in my config sets a
> > router ID.  Is this also related to the main changes in iBGP, or is this
> > something else?
>
> No, this is bug: http://marc.info/?l=bird-users&m=130165846402471&w=2
>
> Just explicitly configure router ID to fix that, or use bugfix from
> git version.

This is interesting.  I read that bug report and set a router ID in the
first line in my config before my post.  I also did birdc configure after
setting a router ID in the config and it did not correct the problem.
I left the router ID in the config when I switched back to 1.2.1 and
now when I upgraded to 1.3.0 again it sends the router ID.  Does birdc
configure fail to update the router ID?

--
Wanna turn ICANN into ICANN't?  Join a darknet today:
http://www.anonet2.org/darknet_comparison