How to add IPv6 support?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Oct 1 14:27:08 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 07:16:34PM +0200, David Rohleder wrote:
> > It seems silly for the first moment, but it has several advantages.
> > IPv4 and IPv6 usually needs slightly different configs, different filters
> > (esp. addresses in filters) and having separate IPv4 sessions and IPv6
> > sessions means that you forward IPv4/6 routes only if IPv4/6 is really
> > working on the routers.
> >

> And what about BGP+ announcing IPv6 prefixes over IPv4 connection?

I am not sure what kind of answer you would expect. BIRD (AFAIK)
supports announcing IPv6 over IPv4 connection, but it is not a suggested
configuration. Because if bird6 is listening also on IPv4 socket, you
cannot start bird4 on the same address/iface. And also it can forward
IPv6 routes even if IPv6 is not really working on the router.