Detecting link state, FreeBSD

Mahlon E. Smith mahlon at martini.nu
Tue Nov 2 19:00:39 CET 2010

I'm running bird 1.2.4 on a series of FreeBSD OSPF routers.

Had a backhoe go through some fiber this morning (really), and was
surprised to find that bird didn't update routes automatically.

The state of the interface in question looked like so, while bird was
still happily reporting that it was available:

    bge1: flags=8802<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
            options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
            ether 00:18:8b:f6:e5:a8
            inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast x.x.x.x
            media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
            status: no carrier

I performed a 'ifconfig bge1 down', and the failover routes immediately
propagated.

I've got a device scan in my config:

    protocol device {
        scan time 10;
    }

I don't see anything else to add or modify in the config for checking
interface status -- did I miss something?  My anticipated behavior would
be that a link down would perform a route update.  It appears that
interface state with the 'device' protocol is different or separate from
its link state.  Or maybe this is a FreeBSD (or Broadcom?) specific
issue?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

--
Mahlon E. Smith