iBGP over redundant link/ospf and dummy interface

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue May 25 10:16:40 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 08:59:21AM +0200, Arjan Filius wrote:
> iBGP should then become multihop, and there starts my trouble.
> My gateway (neigbour iBGP) is dynamic (ospf) and bird likes to have a
> predefined one.
>
> My questions:
> 1)am i on the right track with ospf handling the local redundancy/routing ?

This is a usual way to handle such situation, but BIRD does not support
this yet and require to have a predefined next-hop for multihop iBGP.

> 2)or is it perhaps a better idea to have to iBGP sessions over both
> (redundant) links ?

This should work if your setup ensures that if the link breaks,
also the appropriate BGP session breaks.

> Another question, not related.
> this morning i found my disk full (bird debug logging), and noticed my
> ubuntu 10.04 TLS didn't handle that.
> is there a preferred way to handle logrotte/reopen logfiles without any
> change distubing the bird/bgp proces?

I would suggest logging to syslog (or some  newer implementation like
rsyslog) and let it handle log rotation. If you log directly to the
file, the best way is just rename the file and then send SIGHUP
(or configure command) to BIRD. It will reopen the log file.