OSPF & Ring network

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Mar 26 00:52:50 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:23:53AM +0100, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> 2) You probably don't want 'export all' to protocol ospf.
> That would lead to export routes from direct protocol to ospf protocol,
> whis is not what you want (protocol ospf generates routes for connected
> devices itself so these exported routes would be duplicates
> and would fill OSPF domain with unnecessary external LSAs).

I wrote that OSPF generates routes for connected devices itself,
but this is true for devices with standard (prefix-based)
IP addresses. Devices with peer addresses does not generate
OSPF routes itself (they are considered as unnumbered ptp
links). But this is not problem (if you don't care that you
wouldn't have routes to these IP addresses in routing tables)
because such IP addresses should not be used anywhere else
than as destination in routes.

You would probably want some IP address that is used as 'canonical'
address of that computers. You don't want to use IP address
of some PPP iface for that purpose, as PPP ifaces might appear
and disappear and most importantly, neighbors would always
consider such address accessible through direct PPP link,
regardless of what OSPF says (and what is a state of a link).

This is usually handled by adding 'dummy' interface with
canonical address (with /32 prefix) and adding this interface
to OSPF (perhaps as stub interface). Often for the same
purpose is used IP address of some ethernet interface with
no other OSPF neighbors.

Another way of exporting canonical address is to specify it
using 'stubnet' declaration in OSPF area specification.
This can be also used to export IP addresses of ppp links,
if you really want them in routing tables.