Memory seems to grow endless

Stéphane Bunel sbunel at orbus.fr
Tue Aug 31 14:36:38 CEST 2010

Hi there,

   I'm working on a use case with two routers (foundry) emiting RIPv2
messages in multicast over an ethernet link and one Ubuntu/Linux/64
server with BIRD configured as a quiet RIP listener.

   Configuration is simple and working well. But as you can see below,
BIRD seems to eat memory after each message it receive (+4K after
receiving 2*3 RIP paquets). Memory used by BIRD seems to grow endless.
I' cant say if it's a bug but it sound like.

   On the mailing list, i've found a thread of three messages speaking
about things between libc and kernel. But I'm not sure this is related.

   Do you have notice this behavior and do you have find a solution ?

Regards,
Stephane.

at 11h44:

root at srtools:~# /etc/init.d/bird start
root at srtools:~# birdc
BIRD 1.2.4 ready.
bird>  show memory
BIRD memory usage
Routing tables:     25 kB
Route attributes: 4592  B
Protocols:          26 kB
Total:              81 kB

at 12h15:

bird>  show memory
BIRD memory usage
Routing tables:    325 kB
Route attributes: 4592  B
Protocols:          34 kB
Total:             390 kB

at 12h54:

bird>  show memory
BIRD memory usage
Routing tables:    682 kB
Route attributes: 4592  B
Protocols:          34 kB
Total:             747 kB

at 14h01:

bird>  show memory
BIRD memory usage
Routing tables:   1311 kB
Route attributes: 4592  B
Protocols:          34 kB
Total:            1376 kB

Config. file /etc/bird.conf

log "/var/log/bird.log" { error };
define NEED_MASQUERADE = 1;
protocol kernel {
         learn;                  # Learn all alien routes from the kernel (ex: manualy inserted)
         persist;                # Décommenter en production. Permet de ne pas flusher les routes
         export all;             # Default is export none
         }

protocol device {
         }

protocol static {
         export all;
        }

protocol direct {
         export all;
         }

filter rip_select_gateway
ip set wks;
{
     wks = [ 172.19.127.252, 172.19.127.253 ];
     if !(from ~ wks) then
         reject "  !REJECT!  Talker ", from, " is not in the WELL_KNOWN_SOURCES";

     if net ~ [ 0.0.0.0/0 ] then
     {
         if NEED_MASQUERADE != 0 then
         {
             if rip_metric = 14 then accept "    ACCEPTING MASQUERADE GW";
             else reject "    REJECTING NON-MASQUERADE GW";
         }
         else
         {
             if rip_metric = 14 then reject "    REJECTING MASQUERADE GW";
             else accept "    ACCEPTING NON-MASQUERADE GW";
     else accept;
}

protocol rip {
         description     "Listen only RIPv2 routes";
         export          none;
         import filter   rip_select_gateway;
         interface       "eth0" { mode quiet; };