bgp soft reconfiguration inbound

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Nov 20 16:17:11 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 02:19:05PM +0100, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> Fellow Bird Users,
>
> Now I realized that if I changed the definition for 'allnet' and do a
> 'configure soft' these routes that are added or removed to 'allnet' are
> not rejected or added, because it seems that there is no bgp soft
> reconfiguration taking place (it works if I trigger a soft
> reconfiguration outbound on the peer router, or if I restart the
> protocol which causes bgp to flap).

BGP soft reconfiguration is not implemented. 'configure soft' just
means 'ignore changes in filters'. So you have to restart the
protocol or do the filtering in the pipe protocol, like in nix.cz.

BTW, why do you want to filter routes in BGP protocols and not in
pipes? I see just one problem with pipe setting - increase in
memory consumption if peers would send too many unwanted routes.
But this might be mitigated by 'route limit' option.

I probably look at the soft reconfiguration in near future, but
i am not sure how problematic would be to implement it.