config syntax checker

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wh at univie.ac.at
Thu Nov 19 07:30:02 CET 2009

Dear Bird Users,

we (Vienna Internet Exchange) are one step closer to deploying bird into beta for our exchange - we have an automated configuration generation tool that grabs all data from our database and creates a bird.conf (ipv6 support is on it's way). Now the same tool that generates the configuration will also reload bird. As all this doesn't need human intervention it would be great to find out - before reloading bird - if the configuration file is syntactically correct (I realize that bird doesn't crash or anything if it can't read the config, but I need to know it anyway) - is there a way to find out if bird would accept the config-file - other than calling configure soft from birdc and parsing the output? Ideally I'd like to call 'bird -c /etc/bird.conf --check-config' and check the return-status of this script. I guess this wouldn't be hard to do, would it?

Wolfgang
--
www.vix.at | www.aco.net
wh at univie.ac.at | WH844-RIPE