question on md5 and linux

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jul 9 01:59:48 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:34:03AM +0200, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry if this question has been asked 100times before, but I didn't find
> a mailing list archive. We (VIX, ACOnet) are taking a look at BIRD within
> the following months to use it for various purposes. One of the
> requirements though (and unfortunately) is to support md5 passwords. I
> know bird is capable of doing this but as far as my understanding goes
> this is something the operating system has to support, too. I know linux
> does now have native md5+tcp support in the kernel. Is this supported
> with BIRD? If so, does anybody have a hint for me how to use it (for not
> having to reinvent the wheel) on linux-side?

Just use option 'password' in BGP protocol configuration section.
Linux kernel is configured by BIRD automatically.
You have to use pretty recent kernel, with enabled CONFIG_TCP_MD5SIG,
but kernels from current distributions should be enough.

There is documentation at http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird.html