Bird reconfiguration without loosing the routes

Vonlanthen, Elmar Elmar.Vonlanthen at united-security-providers.ch
Thu Feb 12 11:16:20 CET 2009

Hello

I have the following configuration:

/etc/bird.conf:
log syslog all;
debug protocols all;
router id 172.16.10.1;

filter ospf_networks {
        if net = 172.16.10.0/24 then accept;
        else reject;
}

filter ospf_proto {
        if source ~ [ RTS_OSPF_EXT2 ] then accept;
        else reject;
}

protocol direct {
        interface "*";
}

protocol kernel k_master {
        kernel table 254;
        learn;
        persist;
        scan time 10;
        import all;
        export filter ospf_proto;
}

protocol device {
        scan time 10;
}

protocol static {
}

protocol ospf {
        tick 2;
        rfc1583compat yes;
        import all;
        export filter ospf_networks;
        area 0.0.0.0 {
                interface "gre1" {
                        type pointopoint;
                        authentication none;
                        cost 15;
                        hello 10;
                        dead 40;
                };
        };
}

This is working fine. "gre1" is the GRE interface with a point-to-point
connection to a remote site (with similar configuration).

Now I would like to add a second interface for a new remote site.

This here would be the new ospf configuration:
protocol ospf {
        tick 2;
        rfc1583compat yes;
        import all;
        export filter ospf_networks;
        area 0.0.0.0 {
                interface "gre1" {
                        type pointopoint;
                        authentication none;
                        cost 15;
                        hello 10;
                        dead 40;
                };
                interface "gre2" {            <== new
                        type pointopoint;
                        authentication none;
                        cost 15;
                        hello 10;
                        dead 40;
                };

        };
}

Now, how can I reload the configuration, without loosing the routes from
the first remote site in the kernel table?
When a use "configure" in birdc the routes are going away for a few
seconds.

I have the keyword "persist" in protocol kernel. If I stop bird, the
routes are still there, but when I start bird again, I loose the routes
for a few seconds.

Many thanks for any help.

Best regards
Elmar