Can BIRD be installed on embedded systems?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Apr 24 14:57:45 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:04:23AM +0800, ChuYinsu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tested BIRD on my Linux laptop and it seems that the software
> works fine : )
> Now I've got a question here:
> All I know is that it's something like embedded system running Linux kernel
> Just like some chips on a board, no display, no input, etc., but with
> several Ethernet Interfaces.
> Can I successfully install BIRD on this?

If you are able to install software on that embedded system
(for example you have a crosscompiler for that system and
you are able to upload compiled software to that system) then
it is easy to crosscompile Bird and install it.

There are some minor issues with crosscompilation of Bird -
you have to patch 'configure' script to skip endianity test.

Definitely, i should make a package for OpenWRT Linux
(distribution targeted for embedded routers).