Support for 4B ASN in BGP

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Oct 6 15:22:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 03:10:16PM +0200, Martin Mares wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > It is not converted - if BIRD is 4B-aware, then it is used (together
> > with 2B AS_PATH) to reconstruct real AS_PATH and then immediately
> > discarded. if BIRD is not 4B-aware, then BIRD should handle
> > it as unknown optional transitive atribute.
>
> This however does not work with per-instance 4B-awareness.

Per-instance 4B-awareness might be implemented easily by just
not advertising that capability (and ignoring such advertisement
from that neighbor). That would force 2B-based communication
with neighbor, but otherwise we can process it like 4B-aware
BGP speaker (reconstruct 4B path from AS_PATH and AS4_PATH
and use 4B path as internal representation).