BIRD <-> Quagga Compatiblity

Ondrej Filip feela at network.cz
Sat May 26 17:09:07 CEST 2007

Vonlanthen, Elmar wrote:
> Hello

Hello!

> At the moment, I do some tests with BIRD. We would like to replace our
> currently used routing daemon Quagga with this piece of software.
>
> My first impressions are very good. There are lot of features, which are
> missing in Quagga. And the design is much better.
>
> I do some tests with OSPF in the following configuration:
>
> 172.16.101.0/24 -- router/gw 1 -- 10.254.1.4 --- P-t-P --- 10.254.4.1 --
> router/gw 4 -- 172.16.104.0/24

There are two problems I notice:

1) Bird thinks that the P-t-P interfaces are unnumbered. I am not sure
whether this is correct. Could you please send me: "show interfaces"
and "show ospf interface" ?

2) I guess that Quagga has a bug in routing table calculation if the
network contains unnumbered P-t-P interfaces. We can me a workaround:
Bird will send the interface as numbered.

I prepared a quick and dirty solution (and I didn't test it!). Try to
apply the attached patch. It is definitely wrong way, but it may solve
your case. Let me know, if this helps.

			Ondrej