Release 1.0.9

Zharovtsev, Anton warm at stack.ru
Fri Jul 16 11:10:23 CEST 2004

I have seen usual information in /tmp/dump.file but nothin new for me.
Afte "dump resources" command nothin changes.
I have recompiled bird-1.0.9 once moor and it does not grow anymore ...
Strange :-(

I have backup of "growing" binaries but they does not grow anymoor too

I only can suspect that there was "enemy" packets in our network which
makes bird to grow in memory.
Nothings comes in my head...

We have a one big ethernet segment with several different ip subnets,
all of them may have or may not their own RIP
And my bird hears it every time. Tcpdump tells me about our net-tresh
but can not do monitoring my net every time.

Situation:

I have 4 routers. Two of them was configured long time ago and I did not
use filters for them, I limit receive RIP packets by iptables from
One "trusted" host (there are several misconfigured routers in our net
which send wrong RIPs to my machines). The third router I have
Installed 3 days ago, I used filter to drop routes coming not from
trusted host. 4-th machine is my experimental, I chech filters on in,
Some patches and so on.

Here is filter:

filter drop_suckers {
        if net != 0.0.0.0/0 then {
	    if from = 217.29.80.1 then accept;
	    else reject;
	}
        else reject;
}

3 and 4 machines had growing bird-1.0.8 and 1.0.9. On 1 and 2 stands
bird-1.0.7 whithout filters and whith firewall. Maybe birds whith
Filter gets some packets and gets memory leak ?

I have discribed here 4 machines which have mainly the same configs
whith little difference - routers ID and filters.

Now I don't know any reason why bird was growing ... Becouse it stops
growing.

I steel can not make bird to do "dump resource" :-).

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Zharovtsev, Anton wrote:

> The birdc command "dump resource" gets nothing in output:
>
> root at wasp:/usr/sbin# birdc -v
> 0001 BIRD 1.0.9 ready.
> bird> dump resources
> bird>
> bird> quit
> root at wasp:/usr/sbin#
>

> May be I need find some dump files after this command ?
> Or what I do wrong ?

Use the config  option log:

log "/tmp/dump.file" all;

The output of the dump will be there.