Why userspace rather than writing kernel space modules?

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Mon Jun 11 21:47:29 CEST 2001

Hi!

> I'm a newbie to BIRD who ran across it from freshmeat.net.
>
> Being a newbie, I have some newbie questions.
>
> How efficient is it to sync with kernel space routing tables if the
> routing tables change rapidly?

Efficient enough.

> How often does a routing table change with a typical server
> configuration and typical server traffic?
> Lastly besides the portability, why implement a userspace daemon that
> is required to sync with the kernel when kernel space modules could
> be written to directly manipulate the routing tables themselves?

Why write X windows when you could integrate them in kernel (like
winNT do)?

a) portability

b) crash-proofness

c) bird is swappable

d) bird can use libc

e) bird is preemptibly-scheduled. If it loops, nothing bad happens.

								Pavel
--
I'm pavel at ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss at linmodems.org