Stop forking

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Tue Jan 2 19:59:22 CET 2001

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Michael Renzmann wrote:

> Hi James.

> > > Already tried the "-d" parameter?
> > Well, that would work but I don't want lots of debug messages.  Do they
> > all come out only on the console, or does this cause debugging info to
> > be written to the syslog as well?
>
> Hmm, don´t know. I´m using bird since yesterday, so I don´t have much
> experience with it. But you might look at the source to find the code
> that processes the "-d" command line switch. Add another switch that
> does nearly the same, but leaves out the toggle for debug messages. I
> don´t have the source right now (and I´m at home at a windows pc), else
> I could send you a small piece of source that would achieve what you
> want.
>
> > If this option only writes to the console then that's fine, I can
> > redirect it to /dev/null.  If it writes debugging stuff to the syslog
> > too then that's no good -- I'll choke my logs up with stuff that I
> > don't always need.
>
> Just try it and you will see if it also writes lots of debug messages to
> the syslog. :)

So far I haven't had any problems with extra debug messages other than the
ones configurable via the conf file and birdc.  Not exactly sure what to
expect though, and I haven't had the time to examine the source closely
for what I want.  Right now I'm having problems with RIP, but I'm betting
that it's my fault and I've misconfigured things again.  Maybe I should
actually sit down and RTFM... :)

If I do find what I want and need to hack on the code I'll be sure to send
a patch to the list.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,