Routing server traffic thru two external ips.

Martin Mares mj at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Feb 20 14:03:07 CET 2001

Hello!

> It probably doesn't matter if the same provider is involved and in
> fact, different providers are preferred as that allows some limited
> multi-homing.  Load balancing should be employed in any case.  Simply
> declaring 2 default routes in Cisco IOS accomplishes that and I
> believe that something similar is available in the 2.4 networking.

Accomplishes that, but unless the two paths have very similar timing
(which happens usually only if their load is minimal [which implies
balancing is useless anyway] or if they are parallel links), route
level load balancing leads to terribly bad results due to TCP being
unable to cope with such a high variance of RTT's. Hence, per-connection
balancing using DNS or redirects leads to much better results.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"People disagree with me.  I just ignore them." -- Linus Torvalds