BIRD doesn't compile

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Thu Apr 5 21:18:45 CEST 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:48:34PM +0200, David Rohleder wrote:
> >
> > if [ -S /var/bird.ctl ] ; then
> >                 echo already running
> > fi
> >
> > does the same thing.
>
> > And off course many daemons are using start-stop-daemon
>
> Just by staring at it i saw a couple of ugly things - Must have been
> very early when i actually did it.
>
> The above would only imply that the pipe exists but not actually
> tell you if bird is running.
>
> "birdc" exits with an error code > 0 if bird is not reachable which
> i try to detect.
>
> The problem with the start-stop-daemon is that it needs a pid file
> which when i remember correctly is not written by bird. One
> solution would have been to make a patch to bird (Which i had
> done if i remember) but i dropped it because of lazyness.

I have my own init system which uses a C program similar to debian's
start-stop-daemon.  I've written it such that given a command line flag
the daemon spawning program will write a pid file if you know the daemon
you're running doesn't write one (such as with bird).  Once I did this I
had no trouble starting and stopping bird using the pid file
mechanism.  Perhaps you might patch debian's start-stop-daemon to do a
similar thing?  It's a thought.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,