FAQ-able questions for BIRD

David Ranch dranch at trinnet.net
Mon Sep 4 22:24:08 CEST 2000

 >> I just saw your Freshmeat announcement for BIRD and since
 >> I work for Juniper Networks, I had a few questions that
 >> should probably go into a FAQ:
 >
 >The best way is start reading our UsersGuide. It's explained in 1st
 >chapter.

Doh!  I apologize for that but it wasn't obvious.  I would recommend
that you mention on the top-level web page that the UserGuide has
a FAQ, etc for common questions.

 > #1: Why did you develop BIRD when we have both Gated and Zebra?
 >      What differentiates it?

Gated is not free and Zebra has limited capability especially in filtering
and configuration. BIRD is also more portable.

I understand the issues about Gated but why not help with the
development of Zebra vs. create competition?

 >> #2: How is BIRD configured?
 >>           Gated is its own animal
 >>           Zebra emulates Cisco IOS
 >
 >BIRD has powerful configuration language.

So its unique?

 >> #3: Do you have any plans to support Multicast protocols
 >      like DVMRP, PIM, MSDP, MBGP, etc?
 >
 >Yes.

Any ETAs on any of these protocols?

 >> #4: Are your protocols modular?  Meaning if I'm running
 >>      OSPF and BGP, the RIP and IPv6 modules AREN'T loaded?
 >
 >You may exclude or include any protocol during compilation.

Hmmm.. that's good (better than IOS) but it would be nice if
they could be modules that could be dynamically loaded, etc.
Kinda like Linux kernel modules.

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         dranch at trinnet.net  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'