Subnets

Network Administration noc at clouddancer.com
Thu Jun 22 05:04:04 CEST 2000

   Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:00:30 +0200
   From: Martin Mares <mj at ucw.cz>

   > Hmm, I thought I checked that before dropping setting the broadcast
   > address (too many recent IP changes).  I added it back in, but I'm
   > surprised that the default isn't the last address in the net
   > (CIDR-wise).

   I don't know what ifconfig does use as a default, but if you use the `ip'
   command to set up the interfaces, default broadcast address is `none' and
   BIRD correctly defaults that to the last address in the net.

ifconfig sets the last address in the Class C, not the net.

   I've added
   a check for broadcast address sanity to BIRD (see the patch below), so that
   it now complains loudly if it gets an invalid one.

Added, and that may stop some problems.