Broadcasts not broadcasting?

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Thu Dec 28 21:53:29 CET 2000

I'm using bird 1.0.4 on an Intel Linux box (homemade distro).  I've
configured bird to do RIP broadcast.  I then plugged the system into my
local network and into a separate network and did the same with my desktop
system.  I configured bird to dump lots of debug info to the syslog, and I
see it say that it broadcasts its routing table to both eth0 and eth1, but
watching either network shows me absolutely no traffic from either
interface.  I pinged back and forth to be sure, and I can see the pings
and the associated ARP traffic quite clearly, but no RIP broadcasts at
all.

The configuration is as simple as possible.  From what I can tell from the
manual I've got everything necessary to make RIP run, but it doesn't want
to share its routes with anyone.

Any ideas about what might be malfunctioning?

Below is the configuration file I'm using.

---8<--- cut here ---8<---

log syslog all;

debug protocols all;

protocol direct {
  interface "*";
}

protocol kernel {
  learn yes;
  persist no;
  scan time 20;
  import all;
  export all;
}

protocol device {
  scan time 10;
}

protocol static {
  debug all;
}

protocol rip {
  debug all;
  honor always;
  authentication none;
  interface "*" { mode broadcast; };

James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.
Lambda Unlimited  Anchorage, Alaska  |  |/  |
61.2069 N  Y=\f.(\x.f(xx))(\x.f(xx)) |  |\  |
149.766 W  YF=F(YF)                   \_,-_/