IPv4 next-hops over IPv6

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Tue Apr 23 15:18:52 CEST 2024

* Jay Hanke
> Has anyone implemented lab or production IPv4 next hops over an IPv6
> only IX vlan with BIRD as the route server?
>
> I'm interested to hear your experiences. Specifically router vendor interop.

I haven't, but I cannot begin to fathom how that could possibly work.

How can the receiving router possibly resolve an IPv4 next-hop address
to an destination Ethernet MAC address, if the interface facing the IX
does not have any IPv4 addresses assigned?

What would the next-hop IPv4 address be set to, and how is that determined?

Tore